tree hugging nazis, and a quick note on Peter Singer

frances bolton fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Mon Mar 6 20:50:04 PST 2000

Ken Hanley wrote:

>By the way who were these
>vegetarian Aryans. I expect they exist only in the fertile imagination of
Reich
>pseudo-historians or was there something of this sort?

well, there's quite a bit of stuff out there on Nazis as Greens and the Nazis and homeopathy/natural healing/midwifery. All of my stuff on this is in storage, but Janet Biehl and Peter Staudenmeier have a good piece on ecofacism: lessons from the german experience. Also might want to check out george Bradford's *How Deep is Deep Ecology?* There's someone who wrote on the natural healing stuff--Robert Proctor, maybe? Well, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

More interesting, to me anyway, is why you assume Nazis c/wouldn't be vegetarians. Ecological stances in and of themselves aren't political stances, and if they aren't explicitly tied to some kind of left analysis, they will tend to be reactionary. Check out the early US environmentalists--upper class, white, anti-urban, anti-immigrant, elitist. (see R. Gottleib, *Forcing the Spring*).

And on a Peter Singer related note: wouldn't it take substantially longer than 28 days for lots of disabilities to show themselves? What's he trying to do with that 28 day thing, anyway?