tree hugging nazis, and a quick note on Peter Singer

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Mar 6 21:01:03 PST 2000

frances bolton wrote:

> well, there's quite a bit of stuff out there on Nazis as Greens and the
> Nazis and homeopathy/natural healing/midwifery. All of my stuff on this is
> in storage, but Janet Biehl and Peter Staudenmeier have a good piece on
> ecofacism: lessons from the german experience. Also might want to check out
> george Bradford's *How Deep is Deep Ecology?* There's someone who wrote on
> the natural healing stuff--Robert Proctor, maybe? Well, someone will correct
> me if I'm wrong.
>
> More interesting, to me anyway, is why you assume Nazis c/wouldn't be
> vegetarians. Ecological stances in and of themselves aren't political
> stances, and if they aren't explicitly tied to some kind of left analysis,
> they will tend to be reactionary. Check out the early US
> environmentalists--upper class, white, anti-urban, anti-immigrant, elitist.
> (see R. Gottleib, *Forcing the Spring*).
>
> And on a Peter Singer related note: wouldn't it take substantially longer
> than 28 days for lots of disabilities to show themselves? What's he trying
> to do with that 28 day thing, anyway?

I know Peter.

Unfortunately, what can be said about Nazi greens is not very applicable to contemporary ecologists.

If you want to read up about what radical ecologists think, I suggest reading Fifth Estate magazine and any book by John Zerzan. The upcoming issue of Alternative Press Review has an excellent interview with Zerzan.

<< Chuck0 >> Homepage: http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/ Mid-Atlantic Infoshop: http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review: http://flag.blackened.net/apr/ ICQ# 62766441

Free Leonard Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe