Race, Intellect, & Genetics (was Re: Peter Singer &Vegetarian Dogs)

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 7 21:30:07 PST 2000

So to refuse aid to a country that was racist, sexist, and channeled aid to its own elite rather than the poor would be paternalistic because it inflicts our own ideas about quality of life etc. upon another country or people? By the way he has nothing to say anywhere in this quote about the quality of life of blacks. He doesn't mention blacks at all.

Do you favor food handouts rather than agricultural aid, education, and contraceptive information? I don't think Singer is saying that food handouts are not appropriate in emergencies, just that aid will give better results if directed towards longer term solutions. Indeed the agricultural assistance he seems to have in mind is to make people self-sufficient in food production-so handouts are not necessary- rather than the sort of export development often suggested by neo-liberals.

I agree with your last point. But given that funds for development are limited, I guess Singer would say you should spend them where they will do the most good. Ironically this is a modified version of the same sort of triage principle suggested by Hardin that his whole argument is against. I don't see how it is paternalistic though. He is not forcing any country to accept aid.. I think of paternalism as acts that force values upon someone else for their own good supposedly. If you knew that your aid would never get to the poor because it would be siphoned off by elites would you give aid anyway rather than be paternalistic as you call it?

Cheers, Ken Hanly