Africa

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Wed Mar 8 08:22:40 PST 2000

Although, my expertise on Africa is limited to the fact that I once polished off a fifth of Scotch with a former President of Liberia. I would like to say that I don't see a nafta style agreement for Africa as a solution to the many woes of that rich and exploited continent.

Everything that I read highlights Africa's lack of clean drinking water, sanitary sewage systems and storm/flood control problems associated with deforestation & agricultural practices. Then there are Africa's health woes, aids, ebola etc.etc.

Thirty years ago when I met the President of Liberia he was in the United States visting the Liberian students who were being educated here. This was no doubt a significant investment for Liberia at the time, and, of concern to the future of that country.

Unfortunately, the future American educated leaders of Liberia recently engaged in a nasty civil war among themselves; the reasons for the conflict were not to clear to this American. General Buck Naked the way I read it was the swing vote in Liberia. General Naked who got considerable publicity in the USA wasn't one of this American educated group as far as I know? I have read that General Naked has since found Jesus and is now preaching the gospel. Which I think is positive. Possibly, some non elite Christian university should offer a scholarship to General Naked; who appears to be a young man of talent.

Tom