smart kids

Fri Mar 10 08:11:50 PST 2000

At 02:23 PM 3/9/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Gordon Fitch wrote:
>
>>These kids are smart, unlike the
>>idiots I ran around with forty years ago.
>
>"They're smarter than we were." - Marc Cooper to me, in front of the
>King County Jail, Seattle.
>Doug
>>>>>>>>

>On please. If they were smarter they'd have
>better music.
>
>mbs

Smarter? Maybe.....maybe not. They are a lot better informed. The wired world has its uses.

CB: More quantity, but less quality. They are more DISinformed. My observation is that today's youth are a less political and less critical than the "previous" generation of youth in thinking about all of the disinformation coming at them from the exploding communication technology. The entrepreneurial spirit is haunting them too much. Instead of taking the critique of the American system that the previous generation developed and taking it to a higher level, this generation has fallen back to a fifties level in CRITICISM of the system, the power structure, the status quo. The vast majority of the "information" in the information explosion is "junk food for thought". It takes up space in people's minds so that they don't use their minds to understand the way things really are or to get at the truth, and to change things for the better. Most of the "information" is a diversion from using brains to complete the revolt started by the "60's" generation, to stop it from being ! turned into a full revolution.

Of course, it is not their fault exactly. They was raised as kids that way in the Reaganite counter reform movement.

Today's hardware is better, but the software is worse.

CB