Fwd: 'Gas-out' apr 7-9

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 12 17:53:58 PST 2000

While it is the system as a whole that is the problem there are dependency relationships that place some capitalists at the mercy of large corporations, although it isn't the mom and pop businesses that come to mind so much as suppliers of inputs to large corporations such as parts to the big three automakers or leasers of gas stations from the big companies, or the relation of farmers to Monsanto et al. At the same this dependency often makes for the very worst labor relationships in dependent sectors. Farmers are not known for treating their hired labor all that well, large companies may avoid the cost of union labor by obtaining supplies from non-union suppliers. Big brand name companies such as Nike may search the world for sweatshops. In terms of labor it is the small capitalist who often treats labor worst. Monsanto employees are no doubt far and away better off than the employee of the local Esso station.

But there is a sense in which fertilizer, pesticide, machinery, and seed companies and millers etc., may milk the farmer in that when market prices go down these sectors still are able to appropriate a sufficient share of the value of farm produce that they often are still profitable-- whereas the farmer operating within a relatively free market is unable to recoup the costs of production and requires heavy subsidies even to remain solvent.

Just before reading this I had read an article in CCPA Monitor (Canadian Center for Policy ALternatives) complaining about the Wal-martisation of the world. I think it would be more to the point to fight for the unionisation of Walmart. When Walmart came to Brandon a small city near me, it did more good than harm. It probably hastened the demise of Eaton's, a real blessing, and it smartened up a lot of chains such as Canadian Tire. Some stores did close such as K-mart. But specialty mom and pop stores such as a local garden store thrive when they give superior service even though they might cost a bit more.. Walmart can't compete with the service and selection-or even price on seeds in this store, since it produces its own line of seeds.. Canadian Tire responded by building a new store, one of the largest in Canada directly across from Walmart. I think efficiency is a four letter word but that does not mean I should have a romantic attachment to old-fashioned mom and pop inefficiency or cry shame when for once capitalists do actually compete with one another and are forced to lower prices to the consumer.

In line with Jim's remarks it is interesting to note that the NDP, Canada' social democratic party, now suggests that it represents the interests of small business as well as labor. In Manitoba the NDP suggests it may ban political donations from corporations but also other special interests such as labor unions! Imagine an interest-free politics :)

Cheers, Ken Hanly