national anthems

JC Helary helary at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 13 05:25:04 PST 2000

> Seems to me that Bertrand Russell once remarked that it was very fortunate that
> the US national anthem was rather difficult for masses of people to sing unlike
> the German national anthem Deutschland Uber Alles. Everyone could belt that out
> whereas only professional singers can easily hit the high notes in the Stars
> and Stripes. Think how bad it would be if Americans had a national anthem as
> simple to sing as the Nazi anthem!
> Cheers, Ken Hanly

And some others remarked that the Japanese anthem was definitely not cool enough, but still they had to sing something in the Stadiums so they made it official a few months ago (after a few hours debate in the ultra conservative led lower house). With a bonus national flag officialy made such at the same time. This March was the first time I attended a high school graduation ceremony with the Rising Sun waiting for me at the entrance and the Kimigayo sung respectfully in the ceremony rooms. Eery. I never ever had to sing La Marseillaise or to salute the Tricolore in France. And I don't remember I did.

JC Helary