national anthems

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Mar 13 18:25:36 PST 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, JC Helary wrote:

> And some others remarked that the Japanese anthem was definitely not
> cool enough, but still they had to sing something in the Stadiums ...

The Japanese sing their anthem in stadiums? I did an informal internet survey a few years back, and my finding was that nobody sang the national anthem in sports stadia except the US, Canada and Australia -- the three classic immigrant nations. Naturally I made up a up theory about that. And naturally it would blow it all to hell if the Japanese sang it at therirs.

> Eery. I never ever had to sing La Marseillaise or to salute the
> Tricolore in France. And I don't remember I did.

As far as I know, no one in Europe sings the national anthem at local sporting events. (Important qualifier -- lots of countries do it at international matches. But only the immigrant nations do it when both teams are local. Or so I previously thought.)

Michael