national anthems

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 13 22:18:56 PST 2000

Michael Pollak wrote:
>The Japanese sing their anthem in stadiums? I did an informal internet
>survey a few years back, and my finding was that nobody sang the national
>anthem in sports stadia except the US, Canada and Australia -- the three
>classic immigrant nations. Naturally I made up a up theory about that.
>And naturally it would blow it all to hell if the Japanese sang it at
>therirs.

I know very little about sports, Japanese or otherwise, so perhaps I shouldn't comment, but I recall that at Sumo matches there were ritual singings of Kimigayo. Anyhow, the issue of Kimigayo & Hinomaru has had less to do with sporting events than with the struggles between the Japanese Teachers Union [Nikyoso] and the Ministry of Education [Monbusyo]. The government has wanted to impose nationalistic rituals at sotsugyoshiki [graduation ceremonies] and nyugakushiki [matriculation ceremonies], whereas Nikyoso, whose leaders have been left-wingers (some of them Communists), has resisted nationalism.

BTW, the lyrics of Kimigayo has nothing to say about the Japanese as a "people." It's in fact a praise song for absolute monarchy (composed in 1880 at the request of the Naval Ministry):

***** Kimi ga yo wa Chiyo ni yachiyo ni Sazare ishi no Iwao to nari te Koke no musu made

[Thousands of years of happy reign be thine; Rule on, my lord, till what are pebbles now By age united to mighty rocks shall grow Whose venerable sides the moss doth line.

Trans. Basil H. Chamberlain]

(Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan, Vol. 5, p. 336) *****

As you recall, modernity in Japan began with a supremely reactionary _and_ nominalist gesture: the nominal "restoration" of Tenno [emperor] as the symbolic figure of authority, though real power, of course, rested in the hands of the modernizing state builders & rising bourgeoisie. The French are lucky that they got "La Marseillaise," which is a song of revolution. Aux armes citoyens!

Yoshie