upcoming talk

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Mon Mar 13 10:30:32 PST 2000

> Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm a bit pressed for time, and my knowledge

of this area is rather weak), but don't treaties entered into become a

part of the "supreme law of the land" (Article VI, Section 2)?

Yes, they do.

> Is the

Universal Declaration of Human Rights an agreement with the same

binding power as a treaty?

Don't know. Doesn't sound like it, though. A Declarations sounds like a nice statement of good intention.

In any case I would not hold up high hopes for enforcing a right to employment through the courtts even if the US had by some oversight in fact signed a treaty that purported to offer such rights.

--jks