upcoming talk

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Mar 13 11:08:36 PST 2000

JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

> > Is the
> Universal Declaration of Human Rights an agreement with the same
> binding power as a treaty?
>
> Don't know. Doesn't sound like it, though. A Declarations sounds like a nice statement of good intention.
>
> In any case I would not hold up high hopes for enforcing a right to employment through the courtts even if the US had by some oversight in fact signed a treaty that purported to offer such rights.

As I understand these declarations are purely voluntary agreements that have no enforcement clauses attached to them at all. Who would enforce them? I worked a bit on the UN Convention of the Child declaration. The US and Somolia have yet to sign on to the one outlining protections for children.

Marta Russell