Bush Stats

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Mon Mar 13 11:42:14 PST 2000

Texas is one of the few states that bans the "corporate practice of medicine." Consequently they have a lot of public and non-profit hospitals (and a lot of HMO's playing fast and loose with their "non-profit" status). This makes up a little bit for their stingy Medicaid eligibility and mean spirited state health policy. Medicaid spending per person in Texas is consistently 20-30% below the national averages.

Bush's initial plan when elected governor for Medicaid reform was horrible. He proposed eligibility for managed Medicaid at 45% FPL for adults (!!!) and 133% FPL for kids. Most of the state would only be served by one plan. HCFA said no way (and they have let some other mean programs through). A few years later, George W. Bush "led" the nation in mean spiritedness when he booted 12,700 disabled (SSI eligible) children off Medicaid (although many retained Medicaid through poverty eligibility). The legislature gave the disabled kids their eligibility back about a year later after some really bad publicity. Compassionate conservatism I guess.

Outside of Dallas and Houston the rest of the state is greatly underserved by health care professionals. The Texas Department of Health has declared 112 entire counties and parts of 22 others health professional shortage areas. The poor areas and the colonias are the most underserved populations in the United States.

Also, Texas is 43rd in spending for people with developmental disabilities and 42nd for community options for people with developmental disabilities (source: The State of the States in Developmental Disabilities (5th ed.); Braddock, Hemp, Parish, and Westrich).

Peace,

Jim

At 11:29 AM 3/13/00 , you wrote:
>Do you have the references for these stats?

"What's breaking into a bank compared with founding a bank?"

--Bertolt Brecht (1898-1956). Mac, in *The Threepenny Opera *, act 3, sc. 9. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20000313/a316c273/attachment.htm>