bubble

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Tue Mar 14 04:14:37 PST 2000

On the despised theme of:

> ... is it worth looking closely at Japan if we want to get a feel for the
>>prospects of Wall St?

Okay, so no-one's interested (I don't even know of this is because I'm talking absolute bollocks, or because the point's so obvious it ain't worthy of response). Anyway, one more go ...

The Japanes economy is contracting at 1.4% pa and is in official recession (stat came out yesterday). Corporate bankruptcies in Japan are up 50% this year (stat came out today). If that goes on, might we not expect marginal cases and uncompensated creditors to need ready cash soon? Just how much of all that moolah on Wall St belongs to Japanese nationals? Enough for a sustained recession in Japan to start a meaningful evacuation?

Anyone know? Any way of knowing?

Cheers, Rob.