An Eskimo Boy And Injustice In Old New York

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 16 08:58:28 PST 2000

Ken H. says:
>It is interesting that this article still uses the term Eskimo even though it
>makes note of the fact that most of the groups refer to themselves as
>Inuit

I thought of that, too. Th NYT did the same with the term homosexuals until very recently, even though for most purposes gay men and lesbians don't use it to identify themselves (unless doing so ironically).

>The term "Eskimo" is Algonkian. It was originally thought to refer to
>"eaters of
>raw flesh" but it may refer to snowshoes.

I didn't know that -- interesting. Perhaps we had better not mention it in view of recent threads on "animal rights." : )

Yoshie