Rebuttal to Nathan

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Mar 16 16:57:38 PST 2000

> >On Behalf Of Seth Ackerman
>
> First of all, Nathan, it sounds silly to insist that NATO only lied about
> 100,000 murders, not 500,000. (Besides, I think the actual numbers went up
> to 225,000.)

Again, you distort the facts. NATO made no estimates of 100,000 deaths. They continued to estimate that deaths were, as of April 19th, only 3200 dead. Some officials, notably David Scheffer, the US ambassor for war crimes, said on that date, "We have upwards of 100,000 men that we cannot account for," in Kosovo, the US ambassador-at-large for war crimes, David Scheffer, told Fox News Sunday. As Agence France-Presse reported, "He said that NATO estimates of some 3,200 deaths in Kosovo were "very low.""

You continue to falsely claim that NATO along with all supporters of the war were claiming 100,000 deaths. No doubt some like Scheffer stated a worry about the possibility, but it is flat distortion to keep claiming that NATO was basing its intervention on such numbers.

By your logic, the most extreme pro-Serb statements reflect the whole antiwar movement.

Find one sentence anywhere where NATO made an estimate anywhere in the range of 100,000, or quit repeating this distortion.

-- Nathan Newman