Wobblies

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Mar 17 14:10:30 PST 2000

Apsken at aol.com wrote:

> ChuckO wrote:
>
> > Until the 1920s?
> >
> > I must then be hallucinating that IWW red card that's in my book bag.
> > That makes me feel better, because I was getting a few months behind on
> > dues payments.
>
> This is exactly the proof of what I wrote. Because a few youthful
> anarchists remain IWW members, and recruit others who are similarly inclined,
> they arrogate to themselves undeserved glory, and in the process demean the
> true Wobbly legacy. The IWW continues to exist, as I wrote, but it has not
> shaped the culture of the insurgent U.S. proletariat since the 1920s.

Well, we certainly don't have the influence, imagined or real, that we had in the 1920s. That doesn't make us dead or irrelevent. Have you seen any of our web servers? Several of us are working on a Slashdot-type site for computer workers, which will probably be called "hackwork.org."

You can believe whatever you want to believe about the IWW.

Do you even care that a shipyard on the Mississippi River went IWW last week? I doubt they have many anarchists in that branch.

Has anything shaped the culture of "the insurgent U.S. proletariat since the 1920s?"

Other than Hollywood and Madison Avenue?

The U.S. proletariat is "insurgent?" Since when?

-- << Chuck0 >> RESIST CORPORATE IP TYRANNY - BOYCOTT ALL RIAA ARTISTS!

Homepage: http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/ Mid-Atlantic Infoshop: http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review: http://flag.blackened.net/apr/

Free Leonard Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe