Wobblies

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Mar 17 20:54:12 PST 2000

Chuck0:
> Until the 1920s?
>
> I must then be hallucinating that IWW red card that's in my book bag.
> That makes me feel better, because I was getting a few months behind on
> dues payments.
>
> IWW - reports of our death are exaggerated.

As it happens I was a member of the IWW in Canada in 1973. I was working in a demolition crew and the regular union(s) refused to organize us -- maybe they were paid off or otherwise dissuaded by our sleazy boss. In any case, the IWW is a legal union in Canada and accepted our application. Then we were all fired, or laid off, or locked out, or the sleazy operator went out of business -- it was hard to tell. I had the little red card for many years, but I suppose it has gone the way, etc.

Three or four weeks ago I heard there was going to be an IWW meeting at ABC No Rio, so -- happening to be there on my subversive rounds -- I brought them some Anarchist Oatmeal Cookies. A week ago they were there again, and their numbers had doubled! This shows either the power of Anarchist Oatmeal Cookies, or a decided upswing in the fortunes of the IWW. Doubling every two weeks.... well, it won't be long before Capital is shaking in its boots. I may need some help with the cookies toward the end, though.

In any case the IWW lives!

Gordon