Plattdeutsch

Scott Martens smartens at Courriel.qc.ca
Fri Mar 17 23:51:19 PST 2000

"Chris Doss" a écrit:

>Hochdeutsch (High German) is, as I understand it, based upon the dialect of
>German into which Luther translated the Bible. The highly-regarded positon
>of the language in German culture was further enhanced by later political
>developments.

German dialectologists usually call southern German Hochdeutsch (High German), and dialects from the north Plattdeutsch (Low German.) In my experience, however, many, perhaps most Germans call their local dialect Low German and call Standard German High German.

I find regional names more useful generally, however, the Russian Mennonites all call their langauge "Plautdietsch" and as far as I know have no other name for it.

Scott Martens

Envoyé par Courriel.qc.ca Obtenez une adresse de courriel gratuitement à http://www.courriel.qc.ca