Marx and Woman (was Re: Gender & Free Speech)

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Wed Mar 22 14:19:53 PST 2000

J: And for an moral realist like me, that just shows that some people have been wrong in their moral beliefs. People used to think that slavery was OK, but they were wrong then, Slavery is never OK. ======= In point of fact a lot of people felt slavery was and is ok and it took the old adage that might makes right to shut them down. By some of the latest estimates some 27 million people are in slavery as I type. David Ellerman argues quite convincingly in a way different from Marx[ists] that in the "west" the renting of human beings is slavery. There are classes of social facts that people call morals but history itself refutes moral realism. It is the tacit and explicit adherence to moral realism that is the source of a lot of the authoritarian behaviors we still find on this planet. It is a desperate platonism wielded by those who want, ultimately, the final word in debates that don't yield to bivalence[ not that you're like that at all Justin]. Who on this list wouldn't have plotted to murder Hitler after, say, 1938?

Ian