[fla-left] [civil rights] Ex-cons may get voting restored (fwd)

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 23 07:35:36 PST 2000

>You could even argue as Fromm and others do that
society as a whole can be insane and coping successfully would involve some degree of insanity.

Ken Hanley

Funny. Erich Fromm just came up on another list. Did he think this or are you thinking R.D.Laing? A very different kettle of fish, theoretically, though, left, in a kinda idiosyncratic (hey 'bout idiotsyncratic ) way, just like Fromm.

A lefty novelist, Clancy Sigal, wrote a satire of Laing, circa mid-70's, got sued for libel in UK by Laing's lawyers. Sigal's novel was withdrawn from publication inthe UK. I'd assume that the bio by a Daniel Burston, published by Harvard Univ. Press, a few yrs. ago on Laing, would go into this. His early works, like Sanity, Madness and the Family, are still worth reading, but methinks, fame tweaked Ronald a bit.

And people wanting a good read on the Old Left, in a novel, read, Sigal's, "Going Away." He has another, I haven't read where E.P. Thompson and his wife, Dorothy figure as fictionalised characters.

Michael Pugliese