Marx and Woman (was Re: Gender & Free Speech)

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 08:46:51 PST 2000

Birth is the line that most of us intuitively draw, but it makes no logical sense. Why should it matter which side of the cervix the fetus/baby is on? The problem is that that seems like just a matter of physical location. If it is a person outside the woman at 9.02, why isn't it a person inside her at 8.58?

And at that point, late term abortions, you can't even use the Judith Thompson line that it does not matter whether it is a person, even a person can't impose on an unconsenting woman for life support. By the 28th week or so, the fetus is viable.

When it comes to animals we draw the line by how smart they are. that makes sense because it does seem that something like a certain degree of consciuuness and self-consciuosness makes a moral difference for some of the reasons Singer suggests. But if we go that way, how to rule out infanaticide?

Doug's argument suggest that we draw the line earlier, saying that it would be OK to prohibit late term abortions. (This was in fact the view of Roe v. Wade.) So, how about it, feminists? What do you think?

My point is, this is logically very hard stuff, however you come down.

--jks