Marx and Woman (was Re: Gender & Free Speech)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 23 11:10:46 PST 2000

JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

>Birth is the line that most of us intuitively draw, but it makes no
>logical sense. Why should it matter which side of the cervix the
>fetus/baby is on? The problem is that that seems like just a matter
>of physical location. If it is a person outside the woman at 9.02,
>why isn't it a person inside her at 8.58?

But we're not talking about an infant seconds from birth - we're talking about the difference between a 2 or 3 month old fetus and a 9-month one capable of surviving on its own lung power. The ancient standard - that first trimester abortions are not morally troublesome - seems just fine to me, and it did even to the Vatican until a bit over a century ago.

Doug