Credit Agricole to float?

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Fri Mar 24 11:48:30 PST 2000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com wrote:

> Some people on the list will care about this -- it appears from Reuters
> that Cred Ag. is planning on getting itself a stock market quotation, to
> let it raise capital and to give it an acquisition currency.

Well, you know, what a 415 billion EUR Eurobank wants is usually what it gets. I was just reviewing the Fortis keiretsu, a tangled web between Union Miniere, Arbed, Soc Gen de Belgique, and Suez Lyonnaise, which is now putting feelers out to whatever life-form emerges from the VIAG-VEBA merger. Credit Agricole just happens to be one of the biggest shareholders of Suez; Allianz is the biggest shareholder of V-V. I suspect Axa has some tentacles a-wriggling in this squidfest, too, given their links to Vivendi, Suez' biggest competitor, and their warm, nay, comradely feelings towards the Spiders of Muenchen.

What's not to like about BreuerBank? Isn't its P/E only 16 or so?

-- Dennis