Kerala, Communism and Human Development

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat Mar 25 10:08:36 PST 2000

But why communist parties didn't achieve those impressive results in other countries? Even when they faced much more favorable conditions (The USSR and Eastern Europe countries, for instance?). Maybe democracy is the key to communist's success in Kerala? Any other explanations??

Alexandre

maybe the Kerala CP's program is indistinguishable from social-democracy. I don't know, but I'd like to.

used to hear the same sort of thing about Bologna. One of my buddies in college was an Italian from Newark whose father was a cop. You can imagine the latter's politics. Their relatives in Italy were all communists. On a visit to the U.S., some of them had an interesting conversation with Daddio. My friend asked him what he concluded and Dad said different strokes for different folks, but the main thing the CP had going for it in Italy was simply that all the other parties were perceived as corrupt.

mbs