don't trust the census

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 29 10:04:25 PST 2000

I'm a major consumer of Census data, so I find it disturbing when people talk about not responding. One of the enduring mysteries of American life is how well the statistical apparatus documents just how awful things can be - like inequality and poverty, deprivation and violence - and how open and dedidcated the statisticians are about their work. When I was doing my State of the USA Atlas, the British editor was stunned that I could call up Census people and get unpublished data or talk to them about the strengths and weaknesses of their figures; she said in Britain, the attitude of the data collectors was that their work was almost a state secret. So, please, fill out your Census forms!

Doug