Chomsky -- Put up or blah blah

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 11:29:50 PST 2000

I have important
> disagreements with all of the schools of linguistics
> that I know of, even the ones I'm promoting here,
> but I wouldn't be a good linguist if I didn't. :^)

As a linguist, why do you suppose the disputes in that field seem to be so hostile? I'm just an observer of the academic scene, but it seems to me that the linguistics field's infighting is worthy of MTV's "Celebrity Deathmatch". Is it because it's not enough of a "hard" science yet to allow for civilized differences, or are there political dimensions to these disputes that I'm unaware of?

Jim Baird