Popperism (was Chomsky -- Put up or blah blah)

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Fri Mar 31 10:10:46 PST 2000

Obviously I was not arguing that B's claims were false because he is ignored by people I like. In fact I think that many of his principal theses are true. It is his arguments for them that are terrible.

My point was that his reputation in his professional peer group has a bearing on whether he is a thinker worth taking seriously. The consensus--not universal, but widespread--is that he is not.

Btw, Alex Callinicos has written a good article I have in typescripot, maybe he published it somewhere, and Andrew Collier has written a boon (Critical Realism) which to my mind explain why there is no there there.

Anyway, go read him if you like, you are young and have time to waste.

--jks

In a message dated Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:54:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes:

<< Rakesh, Justin, Sam, etc.:

>Justin, doesn't Rom Harre take Bhaskar quite seriously? Haven't read much
>Bhaskar at all. Just going by his intro to the philosophy of science, Harre
>is obviously a very serious and accomplished thinker--so his opinion, if
>indeed favorable of Bhaskar, should count. And there's that excellent book
>on Method in the Social Science by Andrew Sayer who is influenced by
>Bhaskar. Peter Manicas' imposingly erudite History and Philosophy of the
>Social Sciences is also influenced by Bhaskar.

If one thinks that the criterion of truth of X is that X is taken seriously by philosophers one likes, though, one indeed ends up confirming Rorty-like pragmatism. What matters is a local consensus!

Yoshie