Slavoj on Lenin

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Mon May 1 06:28:12 PDT 2000

On Mon, 1 May 2000 08:56:29 EDT Apsken at aol.com wrote:

> Given Ken M's dictum that the duty of Marxists is to clown, his
> performance disappoints.

It isn't a dictum, it's a present help in a time of urgent need. I'm not so normative. Dictum's are a sure sign of bad taste.

> We knew before he wrote that he shares with Zizek the "radical" concept that
masses are to be anesthetized with obscurantism, not summoned to the streets. The question on this thread, though, is whether his hero is prepared to be equally direct on that issue, especially as he pretends to embrace Lenin.

Why should he? To speak *directly* to an issue would be a contradiction of his modernist intentions. The postmodernism (sic) speaks "common sense" or "the plain truth" or "just the facts" (you see, I deconsruct this, and 'poof' here we go, see it for yourself). These things comfort, along with Hollywood and a batch of quick-bake cookies, they make us feel better - which includes getting us all fired up about something in the world (nothing like a stirring anthem to get me moving in the morning... I get knocked down, but I get up again... the power to the union, forever we... hic). Consolation can be in the form of a bottle, an easy chair or a [barbarian] rush toward the gates. There is no "ultimate" right or wrong way to do this, anesthetized with obscurantism or cliched to death... what's it going to be? It's a double edged sword you are swinging and Zizek here. Either he's too complicated and obscure, or, if his word were simplified, it would be vulgar or insipid. So you've really warmed him over here. A rather brutish strategy for a theorists you haven't even read! (don't cha think?). I guess charity only reaches toward those with a shared discursive-lifeworld? (ouch)

> KM's and SZ's affinity to Louis Althusser is more direct. Theoretical
Practice was a high-sounding pretext for avoiding the duties of lesser party members, such as passing out leaflets to actual workers, but otherwise is bereft of principle. If Theory is Practice, who needs the real thing? That's a true Zizek/Mackendrick precursor.

Ha! If you only knew. Avoiding the duties of lesser party members. Go ahead and comfort yourself with that idea, it happens to be false, but pay no mind, you can have your loop sum of enjoyment.

As for Zizek, Zizek writes a book every three months or so, and he publishes something almost on a daily basis. This doesn't quite sound like someone who's taking the easy way out. Research, as you well know, if difficult work.

cut myself on a staple today, my lesser party members are on strike, power to the union! ken

"What sweet juicy strength!"

- Rimbaud