Zizek's Lenin

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 10:43:20 PDT 2000

> Your reference to the unibomber is totally out to
> lunch. I am saying nothing against peaceful use of
> technology.

Pardon me, but that seemed to be exactly what you were saying. You said, and forgive me if I misread, that lives in the third world were all sweetness and light until the nasty europeans came with their awful technology and ruined everything. According to you, Europeans and their technology are responsible for not only AIDS but malaria(!), and any increases in lifespan that resulted from third world access to european technology are just part of a sinister plot to increase suffering. As far as I can tell, you wish that the Renaissance, industrial revolution, etc. never happened, and that everyone in the world still led a pastoral existance in which there was no domination of man by man, and everyone was equal, and tra la la...

I take it back. At least the unabomber, nutty as he is, has a coherant philosophy: all technology is bad, smash it all, damn the consequences. You seem to think you can magically separate "good" tech from "bad" tech, with all "bad" tech emanating from nasty Europeans...

Jim Baird, who has reached his limit for the day and has to go remind himself why he considers himslef a leftist...