Zizek's Lenin

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 3 15:57:27 PDT 2000

Charles Brown wrote:

>CB: From summary of Lenin's analysis of imperialism: 1) monopoly
>capitalism is still applicable 2) state-monopoly capitalism is
>still applicable ; privatization is a late 1900's -2000 fresh
>example of state-monopoly.

Privatization is an instance of state-monopoly? I find that very confusing.

Lenin and Hilferding talked about state-sponsored cartels and the suppression of competition. Everywhere on earth, deregulation and the intensification of competition are the rule of the day. Please clarify how this proves Lenin and Hilferding right.

> 3) Imperialist nations still export capital vs exporting goods

The U.S., the political/military/technological center of capitalism, is a major international debtor. The EU and Japan, lesser imperial powers, are creditors, but major exporters of goods.

And it seems like Kautsky was right on the fellowship of imperialists issue. For now at least.

Doug