Zizek's Lenin

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed May 3 17:59:30 PDT 2000

Charles Brown wrote:
> >CB: From summary of Lenin's analysis of imperialism: 1) monopoly
> >capitalism is still applicable 2) state-monopoly capitalism is
> >still applicable ; privatization is a late 1900's -2000 fresh
> >example of state-monopoly.

Doug Henwood:
> Privatization is an instance of state-monopoly? I find that very confusing.

How about _state_ as in the entire power structure, and _monopoly_ as class monopoly? By selling a productive facility owned by a democratic government, say the telephone system, to a private company, one is in effect moving the facility from one part of the state to another, but now it is entirely in bourgeois hands, whereas previously the general population had at least some nominal say in its management.