Zizek's Lenin

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed May 3 18:32:30 PDT 2000

. . .
> Privatization is an instance of state-monopoly? I find that very
> confusing.
>
> Lenin and Hilferding talked about state-sponsored cartels and the
> suppression of competition. Everywhere on earth, deregulation and the
> intensification of competition are the rule of the day. Please
> clarify how this proves Lenin and Hilferding right.

I don't know from Hilferding or Lenin, but I don't think dereg/competition is the rule everywhere. A transfer of a state enterprise to private hands -- which characterizes much of what goes by the name of privatization -- is no reflection of increased competition. In fact, accountability and the implicit competitive pressure it brings can easily worsen under "privatization." Rather, I would say "privatism" and "marketism" are the rule -- the exaltation of private ownership and pricing mechanisms -- rather than public ownership and tax-based finance.

Another example: if the state divests itself of things like NPR and C-span, only to see those things scooped up by a media conglomerate, we would not call that an intensification of competition.

Often competition is mere transitory to market concentration and un-competition.

mbs