I "LOVE" YOU

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 4 07:04:03 PDT 2000

[already got one copy this morning]

May 4, 2000

'I Love You' E-Mail Virus Attacks Computer Systems World-Wide

Dow Jones Newswires

HONG KONG -- A computer virus spread by e-mail messages bearing the title "I Love You" spread through Asian businesses Thursday afternoon, and appeared to be quickly tainting computer systems world-wide.

If the attachment holding the virus is opened, the virus apparently multiplies by finding other e-mail addresses and prompting the computer to generate new e-mail. Victims sometimes receive dozens of e-mail messages, all contaminated with the virus.

The virus, which appeared in Hong Kong late Thursday afternoon, seemed to particularly hit, among other businesses, public relations firms and investment banks. Dow Jones and the Asian Wall Street Journal offices in Asia were among its victims.

In Hong Kong, Nomura International Ltd. is receiving the e-mail virus, an analyst said. The virus has created a lot of damage in Nomura's London office, he said. "It just multiplies through the system and eradicates whole address books," the analyst said.

Simon Flint, currency strategist at Bank of America in Singapore, said he has received e-mail messages warning him of the virus but hasn't received the actual virus.