The Suicide of New Left Review (posted by Doug Henwood to LBO-Talk)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 4 06:59:09 PDT 2000

Michael Pugliese quoted Lou Proyect:

>Doug, of course, is an expression of the hopelessness conveyed by Perry
>Anderson's piece.

Damn, it's a good thing I jumped out the window the other day, reducing the world net supply of hopelessness by a smidgen. And Perry Anderson won't have to be offended by the "subliterate" Harvard reference style in any more Verso books, either.

>I think Doug is a classic example of the middle-class intellectual who is
>attracted to the workers movement, but not part of it.

Unlike, say, computer programmers who live in subsidized apartments on the Upper East Side of Manhattan who are attracted to indigenous movements....

Doug