The Suicide of New Left Review (posted by Doug Henwood to LBO-Talk)

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Thu May 4 10:14:06 PDT 2000

Aw, c'mon, you blokes! Can't we just think Zizek is an often appalling writer, who chooses to be ambiguous when the need for ambiguity is not apparent, whose metaphors maybe intrinsically pretty but whose relevance to the text is not apparent, who quotes Althusser's worst bits too often, analyses all the fun out of shagging, rejoices in some sorta Lacanian denial of agency just before he tells us how to exercise it, and hides his occasional sledgehammer points (I like it when he has a go at Foucault and his acolytes here and there) amidst a thick porridge of glutinous verbiage. I mean, a lot of us have to read a lot, and we should demand the right to get cross at writers who gratuitously make that hard to do. Edward Thompson, Raymond Williams and Marvin Harris knew how to write about culture - so that people within the cultures they were discussing could understand 'em!

For my part, I kinda wish Doug would write about Zizek a bit more. Mebbe I'd get a kahlew what the bloke's on about ... him and that even more outrageous torturer of readers everywhere, Jacque if-you-reckon-philosophy's-hard,-wait-till-I-psychologise-it-for-ya Lacan.

And, Doug. Is there any chance of transferring my LBO subscription to the electronic option? I feel so out of it having to wait for the clipper to ply the South Seas ...

Cheers, Rob.