French lawmakers debate controversial Bill

JC Helary helary at eskimo.com
Fri May 5 17:41:43 PDT 2000

Here is summary of what I remember from the recent debates in french news papers : The first draft of the Law (Greens) implied a change in the constitution and was refused by SP and CP because the 'opinion was not prepared' (whatever that means : probably they dont want to take chances with the next elections). So the point is to get the whole left majority to vote on a bill with reduced aims rather than have nothing if the opposion gets together and attracts voices of left deputies. The new draft allows the right to vote for city level elections exclusively and I think it offers possibility to be elected for the city counil (but not as a mayor). The first draft covered all local elections : departement level, regional level.

I don't remember who said (maybe Noel Mamere, green, ex journalist) "Any foreigner from the EU will have the right to vote at _any_ local elections as long as they've been here for more than 6 months, but not a worker from Senegal who has been here for more than 10 years..."

JC Helary