Reply to Doug

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Sat May 6 02:05:08 PDT 2000

> > Oh, pulllease... You're very good at informing people that there are
> > things you do not understand, and you are very good at insisting that
> > because you do not understand something it must be dangerous.

Ken:

> Of course I have written no such thing. But I have been expecting this
> line of argument for some time -- in essence, that today's Marxism is
beyond
> the comprehesion of mere workers or other mortals, and therefore requires a
> new priest class of celebrity intellectuals to explain it.

Expectations are powerful things. Fateful, one might say. The statement above suggests only that _you_ have admitted that you do not understand Zizek, and that this makes you very uncomfortable. You talk about it quite a lot; much more so than anything else going by what you post on. It does not say that Zizek cannot be understood, nor that Zizek cannot be understood by 'the masses'.

But, ok, let me say this about obscurity:

Clear and unambiguous slogan -- there is no such thing. This discussion is already evidence of that. Psychoanalysis is one way in which ambiguities are explored. You don't like that, fine. But, politics, well, politics would not even exist were it not for ambiguity, contradictions, and so on. The same has already been said about the the preconditions of science by earlier marxists, or maybe it was the fat guy himself.

Now, either you really beleive that there is such a thing as an uncomplicated and unambiguous slogan, in which case I have no idea how to even begin to find a basis on which to have this discussion; or you do not believe this, in which case, I'm inclined to think that you wish for a moment when statements will no longer have any ambiguity, that this will somehow constitute a revolutionary moment. If the latter, then I think you are dreaming about the end of politics, not its possibilities.

As for 'mere mortals' and 'priests' & obscurantism:

Obscurantism, if we are to make at least some attempt to recall this word's etymology before it ossified into a breezy epithet, implies a politics which _resorts_ to a certain distinction between mere mortals (the masses) and priests (revolutionary intellectuals), and beleives that because the masses do not understand (will be disoriented by ambiguity), intellectuals have to deliver the message in little saying, slogans, preferably without any possibility that the masses will or can interpret, make the word slide off the path laid out by their leaders who lead because they know... Is it beginning to sound familiar?

> I answered those posts directly, by observing that the choice facing
> Marxists is to take the side of the militants in the struggle

If you read the posts rather than simply answered them, you might have noticed not only that there are far more militant actions taking place against Fortress Europe than has ever been the case during the antihaider protests, and you also may have noticed thereby that "the struggle" is not what Albright and Blair tells you it is.

> , whatever their
> alleged failures might be (and I do not concede such allegations of failure
> are true); an argument for abstention is capitulation to the ruling class.

Again, you are completely wrong. It is not an argument for abstention, but for doing something else (which Mack has already made numerous suggestions on), and for supporting those militants -- from the cobas, autonomia, ya basta!, and so on -- who have been doing quite a lot of pretty outstanding things for some time now. I cannot but wonder why you choose to insist that the antihaider protests are the only game in town. If you want more info -- if it is indeed your ignorance which explains your fixation on this lie -- you will have to go looking in the lbo archives. However, below is a recent report from Ya Basta, on the southern front of Fortress Europe.

Angela _________