Reply to Doug

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 6 15:52:26 PDT 2000

Apsken at aol.com wrote:

>Its breadth included the
>cultural and psychological elements that so charm the LBO-talk academics

You know, Ken, I admire all the activist work you've done over the years,I really do, but this constant anti-intellectualism, which I supposed is meant to heighten the contrast between people who've done real politics, like you, and those who are just a bunch of academic wankers - well, it gets very tedious. Alienating and pointlessly divisive too.

>The mass movement determines the terrain of struggle, not its
>intellectual critics who are too preoccupied with revolutionary
>navel-contemplation to join activists on the front lines.

Which mass movement? Organized how, towards what end? Where are the front lines drawn? What's the response on those front lines when the folks on the other side fight back? If you have any answers to these questions, then you've got a theory, whether you like or acknowledge it or not. What did Marx write? Manuals of revolutionary praxis?

Doug