Bill Fletcher Jr. on Internationalism (Jim O'Connor)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat May 6 13:03:06 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

> None of these are sufficient, of course, but the idea that European
> corporate elites are somehow more enlightened in their approach to
> globalization is ridiculous.

Jim said nothing about the enlightenment of the Japanese or European bourgeoisie -- he merely claimed that they were setting themselves up (tentatively at least) in quasi-opposition to u.s. power. (As Germany under Bismarck set itself up in opposition to British power.) His post is proposes a strategic perspective: that U.S. imperialism is the main enemy (because of its *strength*, not because it is more or less evil than European or Japanese imperialism). European or Japanese workers might quite reasonably see their own ruling classes as their main enemy -- but we can't dictate to them. It is clear that for the U.S. working class (if solidarity is to be more than an empty slogan) u.s. imperialism is the main enemy.

Carrol