poetry on a computer

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Sun May 7 07:27:47 PDT 2000

JC Helary <helary at eskimo.com> asks: Subject: Re: I "LOVE" YOU

< [snip]

Do you write poetry on a computer ?

Well, people do. As for me, no. As for wojtek, dunno.

There is also a body of poetry now on or about computers, like Bukowski's poem on his accidental erasure of a poem. He compared it to spilling a bottle of good wine or Hemingway's loss of his manuscript on a train.

There's a bunch more by a number of poets, almost all in favor of the computer. I don't remember the poet but I remember the line "Green be thy screen!" from monochrome monitor days. On the whole poets have been enthusiastic about using computers.

-- John K. Taber