Zizek's racism

Sun May 7 15:08:37 PDT 2000

>In a message dated 5/7/00 11:40:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca writes:
>
><< a genocide of African proportions is taking place.
>
> Zizek is still alive, last time I checked, so presumably it is, in theory,
> possible to ask for a clarification about what he meant by "African." >>
>
>I presume he meant, like Rwanda, the most recent horrific holocaust we have
>seen. That is the way i would have read it.

Yep. Me too...

>After Auschwitz, you would have be a moron to say that only "the
>lesser breeds without the law" do that sort of thing.

Warning! Danger, Will Robinson! Serious irony alert!

In Kipling's poem "Recessional"--in which the phrase "lesser breeds without the law" was coined--the "lesser breeds without the law" were the *Germans*: those who had recently joined the game of Imperialism and become drunk with power...

Brad DeLong

God of our fathers, known of old, Lord of our far-flung battle-line, Beneath whose awful hand we hold Dominion over palm and pine - Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet, Lest we forget - lest we forget!

The tumult and the shouting dies; The captains and the kings depart: Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice, An humble and a contrite heart. Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet, Lest we forget - lest we forget!

Far-called, our navies melt away; On dune and headland sinks the fire: Lo, all our pomp of yesterday Is one with Nineveh and Tyre! Judge of the Nations, spare us yet. Lest we forget - lest we forget!

If, drunk with sight of power, we loose Wild tongues that have not Thee in awe, Such boastings as the Gentiles use, Or lesser breeds without the Law - Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet, Lest we forget - lest we forget!

For heathen heart that puts her trust In reeking tube and iron shard, All valiant dust that builds on dust, And, guarding, calls not Thee to guard, For frantic boast and foolish word - The Mercy on Thy People, Lord!