Reply to Doug

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu May 11 12:16:30 PDT 2000

On Thu, 11 May 2000 DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com wrote:

> >Marx said he was a dwarf standing on the shoulder of giants or the
> equivalent.
>
> Newton said it first, I think "If we have seen further than others, it
> is because we were standing on the shoulders of giants".

When Stekel defending himself by saying that dwarves on the shoulders of giants see farther than the giants, Freud replied, "Yes, but not so with a louse on the head of an astronomer."

BTW, Robert Burton claims (in Anatomy of Melancholia) that the phrase goes back to Didacus Stella, whoever he was.

Michael