Let's adopt the Parliamentary System

Bill Cochrane billc at waikato.ac.nz
Wed May 10 16:04:55 PDT 2000

Yeah this seems to be reflected in the data I've seen. I think that this was exacerbated by the concentration of high risk groups in precisely the area's of the economy most hard hit by restructuring. I see that the official line attributes the rise in suicide rate to people taking lots of drugs, getting pissed and being depressed, now I wonder why people might do that. Aside from this rise however it would seem that NZ has had a relatively high suicide rate c.f other western nations at any rate, no doubt due to both our colonial history and more problematic aspects of our culture.