Punk rock and contemporary anarchism

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Fri May 12 09:01:29 PDT 2000

At 06:53 PM 5/11/00, you wrote:

>I know that there are persons on this lists (e.g., Doug) who are
>afficionados of punk rock. I have a question for you inspired by the fact
>that I am currently listening to the seminal punk band Crass.
>
>Is there any truth to the oft-repeated claim that this band, especially in
>England, resurrected Anarchism in its current popular mohawked,
>black-enshrouded form?

Crass are well-known in the United States but any claim that they have widespread or proselytizing impact would likely be a huge overstatement. It would also likely be an insult to the principles of diversity and individuality so beloved of anarchists. I mean a lot of what Crass are about is being "hard" (as in testerone induced "hard"). While they occasionally fought the good fight--to too many it was about the "fight" and not the "good."

If you are listening to Crass you should give a listen to the Poison Girls (much more my taste, but then again I never claimed to be a punk--I think the Television Personalities late 70's ode "Part-Time Punks" captures the moment well). The Poison Girls played hundreds of shows warming up for Crass. Vi Subversa probably has one of the most interesting takes on punk ever and certainly the most unique avenue to becoming a punk legend. In case you did not she was doing the nuclear family mom and low waged work thing until around 40 she decided to ditch the family and become a punk rocker (her teenage kids were punks and she just thought she could do it better--and she did). Jump momma jump!

Peace,

Jim

"State control and rock 'n roll are run by clever men"

-Vi Subversa