MSFT v Slashdot

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 12 16:27:10 PDT 2000

Kendall Clark wrote:

>Hmm, actually, I don't know a single free software hacker who really
>gives a damn about the MS source code. Sure, if it's ever available,
>we'll look and laugh and point and guffaw. But I don't know anyone who
>wants to *work* on it. <shudder/>

Hey, I'm no programmer, I just use Microsoft stuff (on a Mac, though). From a user's point of view, it seems klunky and visually ugly. I'm assuming the guts of the code are like that too. Why? It can't be the lack of technical sophistication of their programmers, can it? And next to Apple & Adobe graphic design it looks like crap. Why is that? Surely they can afford snazzy designers. Is there something in the way they organize the design & production of software?

Doug