MSFT v Slashdot

John Kawakami johnk at cyberjava.com
Fri May 12 17:09:31 PDT 2000

>Kendall Clark wrote:
>
>>Hmm, actually, I don't know a single free software hacker who really
>>gives a damn about the MS source code. Sure, if it's ever available,
>>we'll look and laugh and point and guffaw. But I don't know anyone who
>>wants to *work* on it. <shudder/>
>
>Hey, I'm no programmer, I just use Microsoft stuff (on a Mac,
though). From a user's point of view, it seems klunky and visually ugly. I'm assuming the guts of the code are like that too. Why? It can't be the lack of technical sophistication of their programmers, can it? And next to Apple & Adobe graphic design it looks like crap. Why is that? Surely they can afford snazzy designers. Is there something in the way they organize the design & production of software?

>Doug

Actually, a lot of the Mac code is hideous, and the OS encourages some weird programming.

Windows programming is also pretty klunky, unless you use Visual Basic, which is pretty nice (sometimes).

The reason why the Mac excels, while Windows lags, and Linux positively blows chunks, is that Apple, early on, based their interface guidelines on psychological research about human-computer interaction, and got their software engineers to understand some facts about interface. This, in turn, created the Mac "interface culture".

The best code is in the Linux world. The unix model of programming is elegant and simple. The OS is relatively simple. The code is exposed to the public, so the programmers work a lot harder to make it presentable.

There's no correlation between good code and good interface, but there is a correlation between concern about code and good code. Likewise, when the Linux community learns to accept interface designers (and gets more than a few to write interface libraries) the interfaces there will start to improve and will probably surpass the Mac's.