Love Bug Hacker as Hero

JC Helary helary at eskimo.com
Fri May 12 15:00:41 PDT 2000

> access to the Web. At the very least, he deserves credit, IMHO, for
> revealing the soft underbelly of the Web, which is now so central to global
> capitalism.

As Doug writes, 'underbelly of MS'. But this underbelly has been revealed many times in the past (Melissa virus a while ago) but nobody cared. There are penty of researcher who pointed out weaknesses in MS systems that could affect _anybody_ not just network systems. The French Association of Linux Users has published a paper is reaction to this one (you can find the link on lwn.net/daily) where they say that MS should be liable for the damage and for refusing to modify its systems after previous notices concerning security. Plus the responsability of gvt that just bought MS products without paying any attention to security issues. All this in the context of the law proposal to use only opensource systems in France (I think it is www.osslaw.org).

JC Helary