Love Bug Hacker as Hero

John Kawakami johnk at cyberjava.com
Fri May 12 16:47:56 PDT 2000

>"People are so strange. Everybody is deranged. Every time I try to
speak, they don't get it for a week." (Lyrics from Philippine punk group Eraserheads, cited in the Wall Street Journal as one of Love Bug hacker Onel de Guzman's favorite groups.)

>I'm surprised de Guzman hasn't received any discussion on this list
as some sort of populist hero. He claims he developed the virus as a thesis project, of all things, and that it was intended to give the poor free access to the Web. At the very least, he deserves credit, IMHO, for revealing the soft underbelly of the Web, which is now so central to global capitalism.

>Carl

Correction: it's the strength of the INTERNET and the weak security in MICROSOFT OUTLOOK.

When Outlook loses, the Web wins.

Let's get this straight.

The Good Guys: the web, the internet, ISPs, Gnutella, Free Software Foundation, IRC.

The Bad Guys: AOL, closed net protocols (like proprietary Quality of Service features), proprietary clients (like Outlook, AOL IM, ICQ, Napster).

The net assists a diversified style of capitalism. Proprietary system encourage vertically integrated capitalism akin to trusts.