Punk rock and contemporary anarchism

Patrick F. Durgin kenning at avalon.net
Fri May 12 17:11:42 PDT 2000

That's an excellent question. I'm afraid I couldn't do more than perform some peremptory conjecture on the matter. I was thinking, in the case of Cornershop at least, of the way their early singles riffed off of both the pseudo-punk sound and the Manchester sound (Charlatans UK et al) of the time, while excentuating unpermitted within those aesthetics, thereby, in my reading, reinforcing the critique they were doing of the complacent doping and realpolitiking going on around them. "I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour / FIGHT THE FUCKING POWER!" -- and so on... More recently, the hip hop / punk rock / sweet-jane-esque pop / bangra mix [the more "eclectic" it becomes] stands a greater chance of decoding all of these subgengres, and therefore represents a test of their viability. And no one likes that in pop ...

I work at a non-profit youth center and am constantly confronted with new sounds via the kids. I try to learn how to listen, and the kids try to learn to listen to some of the things I bring in, but I suspect that the beauty of pop, what makes it yours and mine, is the way it "codes us out" -- one day I may be able to explain that phrase.

Patrick -----Original Message----- From: Uday Mohan <udaym at igc.org> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Friday, May 12, 2000 1:08 AM Subject: Re: Punk rock and contemporary anarchism