Punk rock and contemporary anarchism

Uday Mohan udaym at igc.org
Sun May 14 00:00:37 PDT 2000

Patrick Durgin wrote:
> More recently,
> the hip hop / punk rock / sweet-jane-esque pop / bangra mix [the more
> "eclectic" it becomes] stands a greater chance of decoding all of these
> subgengres, and therefore represents a test of their viability. And no one
> likes that in pop ...

It sounds like Cornershop are both anti-pop and pop?

The kind of "pop" I generally don't like is stuff that's too formulaic or cloyingly sweet, or that's too undifferentiated and takes too long to peak (like some trance music, unless it's on the dance floor). So I don't usually have a problem absorbing new sounds, though the rhythmic rigidity of some techno/electronica etc bores me. Still my transformation away from most guitar-based rock is almost complete. (A few such bands till thrill but not really for generic reasons: Sonic Youth's dissonance, Sleater-Kinney for Corinne Tucker's voice as a key element, Built to Sprill's hyper guitar riffs...) The world was one way one time and it's almost another way now. I feel kind of sorry for people who grew up listening to rock and don't like the current stuff. Is there any contemporary music they can call their own?

Uday